Monday, April 10, 2006

Sewing problems, and solution

I've struck out twice on making a dress to wear at my sister's wedding. The first pattern was a Vintage Vogue; the second is this one from Decades of Style, also from the 30s. The problem isn't the patterns -- both actually went together rather well, and would look lovely on someone more willowy than me. I, alas, am not willowy. I have a farm-girl body, with big shoulders and upper arms, and I think I look like a stuffed sausage in these gowns.

So this morning I decided to try one more pattern from Decades of Style, and think I've hit on a good solution. I used some celadon dupioni for the first draft, and it works pretty well; but I do need to extend the waistline a bit (I'm longwaisted). So I'll use the silk I ordered for Gown #2 to make a blouse from the amended pattern, and an A-line skirt to match, and be done. Much better.

2 Comments:

Blogger dus7 said...

Welcome to blogging!
The only thing I sew anymore (besides repairs I can't avoid) are my cards, but wondered if you have looked around online (of course you have). On this Simplicity patterns page, I like the first two, and they do cover arms and shoulders without having tight sleeves. Anyway, I'll butt out now but good luck! :)

11:46 PM  
Blogger Corbie said...

Love your cards :) Yes, I looked at Simplicity, but nothing really grabbed me. I'm pretty happy with the design I wound up with, though.

I sew a fair amount, now and then, though not as much lately. I think the problem I've been having is my back cramping up. Better back support would be a good thing.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home